Westlink Mass Market Internet Service Policies and Customer Information
The following policies apply to mass market mobile broadband Internet services offered by WestLink. It is WestLink’s policy to provide reliable access to the Internet for all of its residential and commercial mass market end user customers. Because network resources are shared by all users, WestLink has implemented the following policies to govern mass market Internet service. These policies are designed to: (i) ensure that shared network resources are allocated fairly among all users; (ii) allow users and prospective users to understand service policies and any significant limitations on the service; and (iii) provide a foundation that assures customers that they can rely on consistently receiving the level and quality of service to which they subscribe. WestLink does not block access to, nor discriminate against, any lawful website or Internet application and supports the ability of users to select and attach the
mobile handsets and equipment of their choice to the network so long as such
handsets and equipment: (i) are used for a lawful purpose consistent with WestLink’s Acceptable Use Policy ; and (ii) do not harm the network or degrade network performance for other users. Customers are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the following policies which are deemed part of their Service Agreement. By using WestLink’s
mobile Internet service, the customer accepts, agrees to be bound by and to strictly adhere to, these policies. The customer also agrees to be responsible for compliance with these policies by third parties, such as friends, family members or guests that make use of the customer’s service accounts or equipment to access the network for any purpose, with or without the permission of the customer.
I. ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
II. SYSTEM PERFORMANCE
III. NETWORK MANAGEMENT
IV. COMMERCIAL TERMS
VI. WESTLINK CONTACT INFORMATION FOR CUSTOMERS AND THIRD PARTIES
I. ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
II. SYSTEM PERFORMANCE
- General Policy. Westlink reserves the sole discretion to deny or restrict your service, or immediately to suspend or terminate your service, if the use of your service by you or anyone using it, in our sole discretion, violates the Service Agreement or other Westlink policies, is objectionable or unlawful, interferes with the functioning or use of the Internet or the Westlink network by Westlink or other users, or violates the terms of this Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”).
- Specific Examples of AUP Violations. The following are examples of conduct which may lead to termination of your Service. Without limiting the general policy in Section 1, it is a violation of the Agreement and this AUP to: (a) access without permission or right the accounts or computer systems of others, to spoof the URL, DNS or IP addresses of WestLink or any other entity, or to penetrate the security measures of WestLink or any other person's computer system, or to attempt any of the foregoing; (b) transmit uninvited communications, data or information, or engage in other similar activities, including without limitation, "spamming",
"phishing", "flaming" or denial of service attacks; (c) intercept, interfere with or redirect email or other transmissions sent by or to others; (d) introduce viruses, worms, harmful code or Trojan horses on the Internet; (e) post off-topic information on message boards, chat rooms or social networking sites; (f) engage in conduct that is defamatory, fraudulent, obscene or deceptive; (g) violate WestLink's or any third party's copyright, trademark, proprietary or other intellectual property rights; (h) engage in any conduct harmful to the WestLink network, the Internet generally or other Internet users; (i) generate excessive amounts of email or other Internet traffic; (j) use the service to violate any rule, policy or guideline of WestLink; (k) use the service in any fashion for the transmission or dissemination of images containing child pornography or in a manner that is obscene, sexually explicit, cruel or racist in nature or which espouses, promotes or incites bigotry, hatred or racism; or (l) download or use the Service in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria or in destinations that are otherwise controlled or embargoed under U.S. law, as modified from time to time by the Departments of Treasury and Commerce.
- Copyright Infringement/Repeat Infringer Policy. Westlink respects the intellectual property rights of third parties. Accordingly, you may not store any material or use Westlink's systems or servers in any manner that constitutes an infringement of third party intellectual property rights, including under US copyright law. In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and other applicable laws, it is the policy of Westlink to suspend or terminate, in appropriate circumstances, the service provided to any subscriber or account holder who is deemed to infringe third party intellectual property rights, including repeat infringers of copyrights. In addition, Westlink expressly reserves the right to suspend, terminate or take other interim action regarding the service of any user or account holder if Westlink, in its sole judgment, believes that circumstances relating to an infringement of third party intellectual property rights warrant such action. These policies are in addition to and do not affect or modify any other rights Westlink may have under law or contract. If you believe that copyrighted material has been used in violation of this policy or otherwise been made available on the service in a manner that is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law, you may contact our Designated Agent as follows:
- Catherine Moyer
WestLink Communications, LLC
PO Box 707, 120 W. Kansas Ave.
Ulysses, KS 67880
620-356-3211 main phone
620-356-7133 direct phone
- Westlink may, but is not required to, monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with the terms, conditions or policies of the Service Agreement and AUP. You acknowledge that Westlink shall have the right, but not the obligation, to pre-screen, refuse, move or remove any content available on the service, including but not limited to content that violates the law or this Agreement.
- Non-resale policy. You may not resell, share, donate, or otherwise distribute
your network connection to any other third-part.
WestLink provides residential and commercial mass market customers with a choice of data plans to meet their needs. WestLink offers the following mass market services and typical speed ranges. These speeds were calculated based upon testing from an Ookla website ran directly from an Android application.
Performance will be based upon handset model, but results from a typical Android based handset resulted in the following:
While WestLink provisions its network and equipment to ensure that its customers can enjoy the speeds to which they subscribe,
mobile Internet speeds generally result from a “best effort” service and are dependent on a number of variables, many of which are outside
of WestLink's control. Such variables include: the age and processing capability of the user’s terminal device,
handset, or computer; the number of applications running simultaneously; the presence of viruses or malware; the distance the data packets must travel between the user and the website; the presence of congestion on and technical configuration of any intervening networks; any gating or congestion management schemes employed by websites to limit download or upload speeds in cases where multiple users are served simultaneously. WestLink does not guarantee that a customer will achieve the speeds set forth above at all times.
Users should be aware that mobile networks present operational constraints that
fixed broadband networks do not typically encounter. Rather, the foregoing data speeds represent the best information available to WestLink of the typical speeds a customer can expect to experience under normal operating conditions.
Speed tests that allow customers to test the upload, download and latency performance of their broadband data services are available free of charge from a number sources. Generally, these tests are influenced by the same variables that affect Internet speed set forth above. Accordingly, the speed results would not be expected to match a test of WestLink’s network conducted under laboratory conditions. Please note, however, that all speed tests use different methodologies to calculate Internet connection speed so each of the tests would be expected to yield different results. Accordingly, each of these tests should be viewed as a helpful guide rather than as a definitive measurement of performance. The following are several sites, unaffiliated with WestLink, that provide speed testing:
III. NETWORK MANAGEMENT
WestLink utilizes a modern wireless network architecture that is designed to provide users with
the fastest speeds the technology will allow, while maintaining reliability even during times of peak demand. However, congestion can occur on
wireless and IP networks, and, when it does, packets can be delayed or dropped, leading to service degradation and delays. Because network resources are shared by all end users, WestLink has implemented a traffic management policy designed to ensure that all users are able to utilize their fair share of network resources during periods of high demand.
WestLink employs a protocol agnostic congestion management policy that does not discriminate against particular applications. Users remain free to access the websites of their choice and run the applications of their choice consistent with the AUP. WestLink monitors and logs the bandwidth consumption of each subscriber. In the event of network congestion, equipment failure, or system maintenance, WestLink reserves the right to implement traffic-shaping procedures to ensure the availability of services. These traffic-shaping procedures may include the prioritization of packets, reduction of available bandwidth, or in emergency conditions, limiting access to the network to public safety communications.
Mobile handsets are offered as part of WestLink’s mobile data service plans
. Customers are provided with a variety of handset options and a choice of data plans tailored to their individual needs and circumstances. It may not be possible to use the handsets utilized by one mobile data provider with the services offered by another mobile data provider due to the differences in spectrum, data platform and air interface.
WestLink allows the use of most compatible handsets obtained from third parties. WestLink does not discriminate against or limit access to lawful third party applications.
All users are fully responsible for securing their equipment, to prevent unauthorized access to the network by third parties and will be held fully responsible for the actions of such third parties that gain unauthorized access to the network through unsecured end user equipment.
IV. COMMERCIAL TERMS
- Your Service Agreement indicates whether you have agreed to a minimum service term for your service, and if so, the number of months in the term. You will be subject to an early termination fee if you cancel services before the end of the minimum service term (or if WestLink terminates your service early for cause under the agreement).
- If your Service Agreement does not include a minimum service term or, if it does and you reach the end of the minimum service term, your service term will be “month-to-month” and will not be subject to an early termination fee if you cancel your service.
- Additional Service Terms and Conditions for Monthly Subscribers can be found here.
Maximum Monthly Data Caps
- Your Service Agreement indicates whether you are subject to a maximum monthly data cap on your service. The cap states the aggregate number of megabytes of data that you may send and receive using the service in a single billing cycle. If your use of the services exceeds the cap in any billing cycle, you will be subject to an additional charge. The amount of this charge appears on your Service Agreement.
- WestLink will attempt to contact each customer via SMS once the monthly caps are exceeded. However, it is each customer’s responsibility for keeping track of their data use. Customer service can provide data usage amounts. You may check your usage by calling WestLink at 611 from your mobile handset. Unused data in a given billing cycle does not “roll over” to future billing cycles.
Changing or Cancelling Service
- If you cancel your service, in addition to any applicable early termination fee, you must pay for your use of the service up until the date on which you cancelled, including charges for installation, or other customer requested services that applied to your account, and applicable taxes.
- If you decide to change to another WestLink service plan (for example, one with different rates) or to add additional services then WestLink has the right to charge installation and/or equipment upgrade fees.
We collect information about your use of our products and services. Information such as connection records, data usage, websites visited, wireless location, application and feature usage, network traffic data, service options you choose, mobile and device number, and other similar information may be used for billing purposes, to deliver and maintain products and services, or to help you with service-related issues or questions. Customer information is regulated by many federal and state entities, including the Federal Communications Commissions’ regulations of CPNI (Customer Proprietary Network Information) 47 U.S.C. § 222, and the Federal Trade Commissions’ FACT Act of 2003. WestLink Communications will comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
In addition, subject to any legal restrictions that may apply, this information may be used for other purposes such as providing you with information about product or service enhancements, determining your eligibility for new products and services, and marketing to you based on your use of your products and services. This information may also be used to: (1) manage and protect our networks, services and users from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses; and (2) subject to consent practices described in this policy, help us improve our services, research and develop new products, and offer promotions and other services. This type of information may be aggregated for business and marketing uses by us, or by third parties. r />
If you subscribe to WestLink Internet access services, we may automatically measure and monitor network performance and the performance of your Internet connection to improve your, or our, overall service levels. If you contact us for service support, we also may access information about your computer, wireless device or other device settings to provide customized technical support or to install specific applications or services that you use or that are necessary to the applications or services you use.
WestLink will not gather information from your use of our Internet access services to direct customized advertising specifically to you based on your visits over time and across different non-WestLink websites, unless we first provide you with notice of our plan and obtain your affirmative consent.
Information Provided to Us by Third Parties
When you purchase products or apply for service with us, we may obtain credit information about you from outside credit reporting agencies to help us with customer authentication and credit-related decisions.
Westlink obtains information from outside companies that collect consumer information such as demographic and interest data. We use this data and combine it with other information we have about you to help us predict customer preferences and to direct marketing offers that might be more relevant to you.
We may also obtain contact information and other marketing lead information from third parties, and may combine it with information we have to contact you or direct Westlink's marketing offers to you.
Additional Information for Mobile Wireless Customers:
WestLink collects and uses mobile device location data for a variety of purposes, including to provide our mobile voice and data services and emergency services such as E-911.
Many types of wireless applications and services use mobile device location data, including applications provided by other companies and wireless device operating systems. When you are considering new applications or services, you should carefully review the location-based services’ or application providers’ privacy policies to learn how they collect and use your information.
VI. WESTLINK CONTACT INFORMATION FOR CUSTOMERS AND THIRD PARTIES
Customers can contact WestLink customer service from your mobile handset by dialing 611. Customer service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, except during New Years, Memorial, Independence, Labor, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
WestLink customer support cannot address security questions regarding IP address assignments, customer proprietary network information, or suspicious network activity. Please contact law enforcement for any suspected illegal activity.