LifeLine Service Program
What is the program?
Lifeline is a government program designed to lower the cost of basic, monthly local telephone service for low
income households. Qualified Kansas Lifeline program participants can receive a discount of up to $17.02 per month off of their local phone service.
How do I know if I am eligible?
The program includes income-based eligibility criteria. These criteria are based on the poverty guidelines updated
periodically in the Federal Register by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under authority of 42
U.S.C. §9902(2). For eligibility in the state of Kansas, the total household income must be at or below 150% of the
federal poverty guidelines published yearly by HHS. Customers eligible under the Lifeline Program criteria, are required
to self-certify such eligibility. The present income-based eligibility criteria are as follows:
Additionally, you are eligible if you participate in one of the following programs:
|150% of Kansas Poverty Guidelines for 2013
|# of Family Members
||Maximum Annual Income
|Each add'l Person
- Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Free School Lunch Program
- Head Start (must meet its income qualifying standard)
- BIA General Assistance
- United Tribes Food Distribution Program
- Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)
- Section 8 Public Housing Assistance
How do I apply to receive Lifeline discounts?
To utilize this program, please visit any WestLink customer service location
. Be sure to bring with you any
documentation that would provide evidence to support your eligibility based upon the above outlined eligibility
requirements. Examples of this would be as follows:
Prior year state or federal tax return
Three consecutive months of statements for any of the following:
- Paycheck stub or current income statement from an employer;
- Social Security Administration statement of benefits;
- Retirements/pension statement of benefits;
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits;
- Unemployment/Workman’s compensation statement of benefits;
- Divorce decree or child support documents.
Download the Lifeline Service Program Request Form
For more information about the Lifeline Service Program, please view our
Frequently Asked Questions